Travel, Triathlons and Challenges
Well there is a heading I never thought I would write.
We are currently travelling quite a lot as a team for work, with clients in Europe, Leeds, Portsmouth, London, Cheltenham, Cardiff, Hamble, Cornwall – and the team are delighted Bristol! As a virtual team, folk are also spread out across the country, which works well for stop-overs and we all love travelling by train, so that is a bonus.
This week Lesley and I were in Essen, Germany and last week I was in Nuremberg. Tomorrow four of us are in Portishead, a mere hop skip and a jump for us; our clients are so varied and the work is so interesting, we know we are very very lucky.
On Saturday I turn 46 and am celebrating by attempting my first triathlon, it’s what they call a ‘sprint’ triathlon I am reliably informed this is all about the shorter distances not the speed with which one needs to complete it. Thank goodness. So I have been training for the 400 m swim (which I am not looking forward to at all), 25k bike ride and 5k run by taking every opportunity , including those when I feel tired – as I reckon after the swim I’ll be tired, after the cycling I will be very tired and after the run I give if five mins in the car before I am asleep.
Then my next challenge is a half marathon, and I am doing that to raise money for the Taylor Bennett Foundation; more of that later.
And to keep challenging myself, get fitter, push the boundaries of what I think is possible and be a good role model to as many women and girls as I can, I am developing a 50 before I am 50 list. Here are the first 15:
- Complete a sprint tri (Portishead sprint-tri booked for 11 August 2018)
- Complete a half marathon (Royal Parks half booked for 14 October 2018)
- Complete my first trail run (Gower 10k booked for 10th November)
- Run the Sonoma to Napa half marathon (scheduled for summer 2020) – this involves drinking wine at the end!
- Volunteer to become a Run Maker with This Mum Runs and help more women to run
- Go back to NYC: run in a 10k, drink cosmopolitans, see my lovely friend Emma and shop
- Swim in open water with my amazingly inspirational friend Penny
- Walk some of the Camino de Santiago with my best friend Kate – and then go wine tasting…..
- Take miniteampg walking on Dartmoor with my dad, ex-Ten Tors and Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme leader (he knows Dartmoor so well)
- Launch the Sprint Forward Mentoring Programme and Spring Forward 2019
- Complete the Prudential Ride London 100 mile bike ride (booked for July 2019)
- Take my godson Christopher back to London Zoo and go with him into the reptile enclosure (when he was about eight, I made him go by himself, I am still scared….)
- Commission an original piece of artwork for our huge kitchen
- Go to Sri Lanka with TeamPG
- Take miniteampg to see the Winnie Mabaso Foundation in action, led by my wonderful friend Lisa Ashton
if you’ve any ideas for the remaining 35 – let me know!